Located at the altitude of 2300 m above sea level, the Paro Valley is the first place where the visitors who take a Druk Air flight encounter. The breathtaking view of the valley is seen from the flight in a clear sky even the regular visitors’ thirst to see this view is never quenched.
Paro Dzong is also called the Rinpung Dzong, which means fortress on a heap of Jewels. he Fortress on a heap of Jewels was built in 1646 by Shabdrung Nawang Namgyel. The approach to the dzong is through a traditional roofed wooden bridge and a walk through the stone inlaid path offer a good view of the architectural wonder of the dzong as well as life around it.
Above Rinpung Dzong lies a multi-storeyed round tower
” The Ta-Dzong “. It’s a watch tower for the protection of our Rinpung Dzong.
The National Museum is housed in the Ta-Dzong which was built in 1656 and served as the watch tower of Paro Dzong in the past. The museum displays the ancient Bhutanese arts, crafts and weapons.
Literally meaning the tiger’s nest, this temple clings precariously to a cliff 3000 ft above Paro valley. Legend has it that the great Indian saint Guru Padmasanbhava flew to this spot on the back of a tigress and meditated in a cave for three months in eight century. It remains a most sacred and pilgrimage spot for the Buddhist followers.
The fortress was built in 1649 by Shabdrung Nawang Namgyel to commemorate his victory over the Tibetan invaders, led by Mongolian warlord Gushi Khan in 1644. Strategically built over the only passage into Paro valley, the dzong helped repel numerous invasions all through the course of Bhutanese history. From Drukgyal Dzong you can have a clear view of Mountain Jhomolhari if the weather is clear.
It’s about 6 kms away from Paro town.It’s one of the oldest Monastry built by the first King of Tibet named Shongtshen Gyempo in the 7th century. This is the main reason why this old temple is now a very important holiest place in Bhutan.